Adventures with Heather

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wisdom teeth

Yesterday morning was my wisdom teeth surgery. I was very nervous about it since my husband told me all of his horror stories from his surgery, and I saw 1st hand how bad my sister's recovery from her surgery was.

Diana and Anthony Tambini stayed with Trust (since Anthony home schools it was easier for them to help) and my dad took me to the surgery. They were SO amazing at taking care of Trust and me!! I am really thankful that I have some pretty amazing people in my life!

They got me into the room very quickly, and I chatted with the nurses about the amazing story of my son Trust. They all awwed at the story and I told the nurse I was a bit nervous, and she said "another situation you'll just have to "trust" everything will be ok again" I smiled and said "you are right! It's going to be ok" The doctor was talking to me and said "I'm giving you the medicine now.." And everything got quiet, and I was out.

Next thing I remember, I was in the recovery room talking to the nurse. There was a little bit of pain, but my mouth was still completely numb, so we were just chatting it up. I'm sure I sounded pretty drugged up, but she was very sweet!

I got home and felt pretty sleepy. The doc told me to take the pain meds right when I got home so that when the numbing wore off, the pain meds would be in my system. I took the meds, ate some applesauce and a few bites of stouffer's mac 'n cheese, then went to my bed upstairs. The numbness was wearing off at that point. I had icepacks on my cheeks as I laid there in bed and felt miserable. I felt really restless, short of breath, anxious like my heart was jumping out of my chest, in LOTS of pain, and on top of everything, I was getting a migraine and started feeling quite nauseated. All I could do was lay there. I couldn't sleep, noises and light were making my migraine and nausea worse. I couldn't eat or drink or take my pain meds without vomiting I had a feeling I was having a reaction to the pain meds. I really thought I was going to have to go to the ER. Last time I had a reaction like that was when I was on the Medicine Pump when I was pregnant, and later that night I had Brett call my doctor instead of going to the hospital. The doc asked if we had any nausea meds, and I remembered we had some leftover suppositories from when I was pregnant. He asked how many we had and laughed when Brett told him we had 18! He told us to concentrate of the nausea so that I could take meds for pain and instructed me to just take IB Prophen, not the prescription.

The nausea meds helped immediately and it made me very sleepy, and was out for the night.

I woke up this morning, and felt pretty good! I mean "good" meaning good after the crazy ordeal that I had yesterday. My mouth and jaw are very swollen, my jaw doesn't open any wider than a spoon going into it, and the pain is pretty killer, BUT my headache and the nausea is gone and no more shortness of breath, anxiety or restlessness!

Success! I made it through and feel happy that this is the 1st and last time I will have to do this!

No comments: